THE Qur’an which we recite contains the actual words of Allah revealed to Muhammad (peace be upon him). Therefore, we should observe the following when reciting it :
- Seek refuge in Allah before reading it (“A’oothu billaahi minash – shaytaanir-rajeem)”
- Have the intention that the recitation is purely to seek the pleasure of Allah alone.
- Recite with an alert heart that you may comprehend its meaning, considering while reciting it that Allah is speaking to you through the Qur’an.
- Make sure you are clean before touching the Qur’an. Do not read it when you are in a state of impurity.
- Do not read the Qur’an in lavatories or similar places.
- Read it slowly with pleasant sound and rhythm.
- Prostrate wherever a verse requires prostration.