10 Ways To Be Firm Upon Islam
1. Seek Allah’s help for guidance and steadfastness. Allah has praised the Du’a of the scholars in the Qur’an:
“Our Lord! Let not our hearts deviate (from the truth) after You have guided us, and grant us mercy from You. Truly, You are the Bestower.”
2. Sit with righteous people and attend circles of remembrance of Allah like Islamic lectures enthusiastically. Visit pious people.
3. Study the lives of righteous people by reading books or listening to tapes about them. Give more emphasis on studying the biographies of the Companions of the Prophet (peace be upon him).
4. Frequently listen to Khutbahs and lectures that soften the heart and are emotional.
5. Observe the obligatory deeds, like performing the five daily prayers and making up the missed fasts of Ramadan, with care, due to the great good that obligatory deeds carry.
6. Do voluntary deeds, even if they are few, that are easy and loved by the heart. Surely the most beloved deeds to Allah are the consistent ones even if they are few, as the Prophet (peace be upon him) informed us.
7. Start memorizing the Qur’an. Recite it constantly and as much as possible. Recite what you memorized in the voluntary prayers.
8. Remember Allah and seek His forgiveness, i.e. do Dhikr and Istighfar. Surely these are easy deeds but their benefit is immense. They increase the Iman (faith) and strengthen the heart.
9. Stay as far away as possible from ‘the corrupter of the heart’, like bad friends, television, satellite channels, music, obscene magazines, etc.
10. Repent as quickly as possible. With sincere repentance, by the will of Allah, there will be no turning back. Indeed Allah becomes very happy when His servant repents.
– Al-Madina Magazine