What To Do On Eid Day
1. It is Sunnah to dress in the best clothes on Eid. It was narrated that Ibn Umar used to do that along with other Companions of the Prophet [pbuh] . [Fath al-Baaree]
2. It is a must (Waajib) to pray Eid Prayer. The Prophet [pbuh] and his Companions never ceased doing it, and they even gathered the people for it including women who were having their menses, children and the elderly. [Bukhari and Muslim]
3. It is Sunnah to say Takbeer loudly when leaving our homes to go to Eid Prayer. The Prophet [pbuh] used to say this until he finished the Prayer. [Silsilat Al-ahadeeth As-Sahiha]
4. The Sunnah for Eid Prayers is to pray in the Musallah (that is in an uncovered place) and not in the Masjid. The Prophet [pbuh] never prayed Eid Prayer in the Masjid. Abu Sa’eed reported: “The Prophet used to go on the day of Eid -al-Fitr and Eid-al-Adhaa to the Musallah, and the first thing he did was to pray.” [Bukhaari and Muslim]
5. Neither Adhaan nor Iqaamah are pronounced for Eid Prayer. [Muslim]
6. Ibn Abbaas reported: “The Prophet [pbuh] prayed two Rakaahs for the Eid prayer and did not pray before it or after it.” [Bukhaari]
7. Jabir reported: “The Prophet [pbuh] used to come back from Eid-al-Fitr on a path other than the one used in going to it.” [Bukhaari]
8. It is permitted to listen to songs (without musical instruments) on Eid day especially for children. [Bukhaari and Muslim]
What NOT to do on Eid Day
1. To shave the beards especially for Eid. The Prophet [pbuh] has ordered us not to shave our beards; so it is a shame that, on this great day of demonstrating our differences in ceremonies to those of the Mushriks, that some Muslim shaves his beard so that he looks “clean” like the Mushriks.
2. To imitate the Mushriks in their practices and dress, and to shake hands with women. The Prophet [pbuh] said: “It is better that a man is hit with needle on his head than to touch a woman who is not lawful for him.” [Silsilat al-Ahadeeth as-Sahiha]
3. To listen to music on Eid. The Prophet [pbuh] said: “There will be some in my nation who will regard adultery, men dressing in silk, drinking intoxicants (al-Khamr), and musical instruments to be lawful.” [Bukhaari, Abu Dawood and Bayhaqee]
4. For women not to wear Hijaab. To do so is to celebrate Eid while committing a major sin.
5. To visit the graveyard especially on Eid. It is permitted to visit the graveyard all year long so we should not make a special case out of it on Eid.
6. To waste money and being extravagant with food instead of giving them to the poor.