Etiquettes of reading the Qur’an
THE Qur’an which we recite contains the actual words of Allah revealed to Muhammad (peace be upon him). Therefore, we should observe the following when reciting it :
- Seek refuge in Allah before reading it (“A’oothu billaahi minash – shaytaanir-rajeem)”
- Have the intention that the recitation is purely to seek the pleasure of Allah alone.
- Recite with an alert heart that you may comprehend its meaning, considering while reciting it that Allah is speaking to you through the Qur’an.
- Make sure you are clean before touching the Qur’an. Do not read it when you are in a state of impurity.
- Do not read the Qur’an in lavatories or similar places.
- Read it slowly with pleasant sound and rhythm.
- Prostrate wherever a verse requires prostration.