Allah narrates in the Quran, The Creation of man from the black stinking mud which is dry and resounding makes noise, this black stinking mud characterizes the human characteristics of anger, greed, jealousy, hatred, and is covered with pretense, which lead man to cause sins, to be rude, or wrong other people and a variety of other sins, The resounding nature which is referred in the Quran refers to ego and pride.
All these characteristics move man away from Allah, from his worship and remembrance, and move him away from the companionship from Allah’s friends, the Awliya and Ambiya, and they move him into the darkness of the hellfire
Quran Surah Al Hijr (Quran translation)
Verse 26. And indeed, We originated man’s (chemical) genesis from that dry sounding clay which, (first) having grown old (and under the heat of the sun and other chemical and biological effects), had turned into black stinking mud.
Verse 27. And We created jinn before this from a smokeless blazing fire.
Verse 28. And (recall) when your Lord said to the angels: ‘I am about to create a human organism from old (and) black stinking, resounding mud.
The Other side of Man
But then there is another side of man, this side is the Angel side of man, whose main constituent is Noor.
Allah then said that will complete the creation of his by breathing his spirit into him, A shallow interpretation of what this verse means without going into the details of tasawwuf is that Allah put noor into him.
All the angels prostrated before Adam, this was the Sajda of Tazeem which was only prohibited in the Shariah of the Holy Prophet Muhammed Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam and was allowed before that
This noor refers to the Angel side of man, when a man worships Allah and remembers him, and stays in the constant companionship of Allah’s friends this Angel side of man takes precedence but when he stays away from worship and remembrance of Allah and stays away from the companionship of the Awliya and Ambiya, the black stinking mud of his will take precedence,
Allah’s friends, the Awliya Allah conquer this black stinking mud of thiers, they constantly are in remembrance of Allah and keep asking for Allah’s forgiveness to remain in this state of thiers
Allah reveals in the Holy Quran this other Angel side of man
Quran Surah Al Hijr (Quraan translation)
29. So when I accomplish the perfection of his (physical) constitution into his real being and breathe My (divine) spirit into (the inner self of) this (human physical) organism, then fall down prostrate before him.’
30. So, (no sooner did the light of Allah’s effulgence illumine the human organism than) all the angels fell down in prostration together,
31. Except Iblis. He refused to join those who prostrated themselves.
32. (Allah) said: ‘O Iblis, what has happened to you that you have not joined those who have prostrated themselves?’
33. (Iblis) replied: ‘I cannot be the one who should fall down prostrate before a human being You have created from old (and) black stinking, sounding mud.’
34. (Allah) said: ‘Then get out from here, for you are indeed the cursed one (the outcast).
35. And, verily, the curse will (persistently) rest upon you till the Day of Recompense.’
36. He said: ‘O Lord, then grant me respite till the Day (when) people will be raised up (again).’
37. Allah said: ‘So, indeed, you are amongst those granted respite,
38. Till the Day of the appointed time (Resurrection).’
The Promise of Iblees
Iblees then says that he will lead all people astray except those exalted servants who have gained freedom from the characteristics of the Black stinking Mud
Quraan Surah Al Hijr (Quraan translation)
39. Iblis said: ‘O Lord because You have led me astray, I will (also) best adorn and embellish for them (the sins, revolts, and violations) in the earth and will certainly lead all of them astray by all means,
40. Except for those exalted servants of Yours who have attained freedom (from my deceits and intrigues of the ill-commanding selves).’
Tassawuf is about knowing one’s self, Self-contemplation, suppressing this black stinking mud and emergence of the other side of man which is the noorani side of Man, this is achieved through the following the command of the Holy Prophet Muhammed Salalaahu Alaihi wasallam and remaining in the content companionship of Allah’s servants.
The Characteristics of this other side of man is also present from this hadees from Sahih Muslim
Sahih Muslim Book 37, Number 6623:
Hanzala Usayyidi, who was amongst the scribes of Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him). reported: I met Abu Bakr. He said: Who are you? He (Hanzala) said: Hanzala has turned to be a hypocrite. He (Abu Bakr) said: Hallowed be Allah, what are you saying?
Thereupon he said: I say that when we are in the company of Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) we ponder over Hell-Fire and Paradise as if we are seeing them with our very eyes and when we are away from Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) we attend to our wives, our children, our business; most of these things (pertaining to After-life) slip out of our minds.
Abu Bakr said: By Allah, I also experience the same. So I and Abu Bakr went to Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) and said to him: Allah’s Messenger, Hanzala has turned to be a hypocrite. Thereupon Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: What has happened to you?
I said: Allah’s Messenger, when we are in your company, we are reminded of Hell-Fire and Paradise as if we are seeing them with our own eyes, but whenever we go away from you and attend to our wives, children, and business, much of these things go out of our minds.
Thereupon Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: By Him in Whose Hand is my life, if your state of mind remains the same as it is in my presence and you are always busy in remembrance (of Allah), the Angels will shake hands with you in your beds and in your paths but, Hanzala, time should be devoted (to the worldly affairs) and time (should be devoted to prayer and meditation). He (the Holy Prophet) said this thrice.
Sahih Muslim Book 37, Number 6623:
In the above Hadees, the Holy Prophet MuhammedSalalaahu Alaihi wasallam said that
“By Him in Whose Hand is my life, if your state of mind remains the same as it is in my presence and you are always busy in remembrance (of Allah), the Angels will shake hands with you in your beds”
This hadith shows the effect of the nearness of the Holy Prophet Muhammed Salalaahu Alaihi wasallam and his exalted servants like the Awliya and the effect of prayer and worship and he also said that
“Time should be devoted (to the worldly affairs) and time (should be devoted to prayer and meditation). He (the Holy Prophet) said this thrice.”