Friday Explained By The Prophet (Peace Be Upon Him)
“O you who believe! when the call is made for (the Congregational) Prayer on Friday then hasten to extol the name of Allah and leave off all business. That is best for you if you only knew.” [ALLAH’S Quran – 62:9]
The Prophet (Peace Be Upon Him) has said:
1. [Sunan Abudawud, Book #3, Hadith #1051] Narrated Abdullah ibn Amr: The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: The Friday prayer is obligatory on him who hears the call.
2. [Sunan Abudawud, Book#3, Hadith #1062] Narrated Tariq ibn Shihab: The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: The Friday prayer in congregation is a necessary duty for every Muslim, with four exceptions; a slave, a woman, a boy, and a sick person.
3. [Sunan Abudawud, Book #1, Hadith #0342] Narrated Hafsah, Ummul Mu’minin: The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: It is necessary for every adult (person) to go for (saying) Friday (prayer), and for everyone who goes for Friday (prayer) washing is necessary.
4. [Bukhari, Book #13, Hadith #6] Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah’s Apostle (p.b.u.h) said, “Any person who takes a bath on Friday like the bath of Janaba and then goes for the prayer (in the first hour i.e. early), it is as if he had sacrificed a camel (in Allah’s cause); and whoever goes in the second hour it is as if he had sacrificed a cow; and whoever goes in the third hour, then it is as if he had sacrificed a horned ram; and if one goes in the fourth hour, then it is as if he had sacrificed a hen; and whoever goes in the fifth hour then it is as if he had offered an egg. When the Imam comes out (i.e. starts delivering the Khutba), the angels present themselves to listen to the Khutba.”
5. [Bukhari, Book #13, Hadith #51] Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, “When it is a Friday, the angels stand at the gate of the mosque and keep on writing the names of the persons coming to the mosque in succession according to their arrivals. The example of the one who enters the mosque in the earliest hour is that of one offering a camel (in sacrifice). The one coming next is like one offering a cow and then a ram and then a chicken and then an egg respectively. When the Imam comes out (for Jumua prayer) they (i.e. angels) fold their papers and listen to the Khutba.”
6. [Bukhari, Book #13, Hadith #7] Narrated Abu Huraira: While ‘Umar (bin Al-Khattab) was delivering the Khutba on a Friday, a man entered (the mosque). ‘Umar asked him, “What has detained you from the prayer?” The man said, “It was only that when I heard the Adhan I performed ablution (for the prayer).” On that ‘Umar said, “Did you not hear the Prophet saying: ‘Anyone of you going out for the Jumua prayer should take a bath?”
7. [Muslim, Book #004, Hadith #1837] Abu Huraira reported: Umar b. Khattab was delivering a sermon to the people on Friday when ‘Uthman b. ‘Affan came there. ‘Umar hinting to him said: What would become of those persons who come after the call to prayer? Upon this ‘Uthman said: Commander of the faithful, I did no more than this that after listening to the call, I performed ablution and came (to the mosque). ‘Umar said: Just ablution! Did you not bear the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) say this: When any one of you comes for Jumu’a, he should take a bath.
8. [Muslim, Book #004, Hadith #1862] It is narrated by Abu Huraira and Huraira that the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: It was Friday from which Allah diverted those who were before us. For the Jews (the day set aside for prayer) was Sabt (Saturday), and for the Christians it was Sunday. And Allah turned towards us and guided us to Friday (as the day of prayer) for us. In fact, He (Allah) made Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (as days of prayer). In this order would they (Jews and Christians) come after us on the Day of Resurrection? We are the last of (the Ummahs) among the people in this world and the first among the created to be judged on the Day of Resurrection. In one narration it is: ‘, to be judged among them”.
9. [Muslim, Book #004, Hadith #1882] Abdullah b. Umar and Abu Huraira said that they heard Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) say on the planks of his pulpit: People must cease to neglect the Friday prayer or Allah will seal their hearts and then they will be among the negligent.