The Many Doors Of Sadaqah
Abu Dhar Al-Ghifari narrated that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said: “Sadaqah (charity) is prescribed for every person every day the sun rises.”
Abu Dhar asked: “O Messenger of Allah, from what do we give Sadaqah if we do not possess property?” The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “The doors of Sadaqah are
- Takbir (Allahu Akbar);
- Subhan Allah; Alhamdulillah;
- La-ilaha-ilAllah; Astaghfirullah;
- Enjoining good; forbidding evil;
- Removing thorns, bones, and stones from the paths of people;
- Guiding the blind;
- Listening to the deaf and dumb until you understand them;
- Guiding a person to his object of need if you know where it is;
- Hurrying with the strength of your legs to one in sorrow who is appealing for help; and
- Supporting the weak with the strength of your arms.
These are all the doors of Sadaqah.” (Ahmad)
In other words, one does not need to have financial resources to earn the reward of charity. There are many deeds that qualify as Sadaqah with Allah. In addition to those listed above, the following ordinary courtesies are also Sadaqah if we do them with the intention of pleasing Allah.
- To administer justice between two people.?
- To assist a man upon his mount so that he may ride it.?
- To place his luggage on the animal.?
- Saying a good word.?
- Every step is taken toward prayer.?
- Your smile for your brother.?
- Planting anything from which a person, an animal, or any creature eats.